Relay (Japanese: リレー Riree, appears as
If a Relay monster(s) is used as a material, including for a Tribute Summon, the Summoned monster gains the Relay monster's lingering effects. If they're Summoned using a material(s), they gain the lingering effects of their material(s).
Origin[edit | edit source]
The Relay type is named after the Relay Race, where some have a baton which is passed on from teammate to teammate.
Examples[edit | edit source]
- If a monster is affected by "Speed Stripe Relay Dragon", "Speed Stripe" gains 1000 ATK as per the effect of "Blustering Winds". ", and it is then Tributed for "
- If a Relay monster is affected by "Blustering Winds", and it is then used as a Link Material for , the latter gains 1000 ATK as per the effect of "Blustering Winds".
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Lingering effects include stat changes, battle changes like having 2 or no attacks, drawbacks like "Return it to the hand during the End Phase", and more.
- s (such as the effects they gain by Equip cards, Field Spells like Sorcerous Spell Wall, and Continuous Spells) are not passed on after being used as a material.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Relay monsters passing their lingering effects on, either from themselves to a monster which uses them as a material or from a monster they use as a material, is akin to Baton Pass, the move from Pokémon.